Sunday, July 12, 2009

A New Discovery


So today while sitting in young women's I had an epiphony. I decided that even though I complain about my new ward all the time, I actually love it. I liked it at the beginning but then started to miss my friends from the bethany ward. But now I am realizing that I love it. 

Last October was a perfect time for 
this change in our family. It seriously has brought many blessings into our lives. It has given us a chance to experience change. To experience what it's like to be "new" but without the scariness of not knowing anyone. To experience what it's like to actually reach out to others. To experience new people. To experience new challenges. To experience experiences. 

Because of the rock creek ward, we have been able to step out of our comfort zone and get to meet so many great people. 
As I was sitting in laurels today,
I noticed a love that I have for each of the girls. Meagan to my left, and Cassie, MacKenzie, Trista, and Esther to my right. All of these girls have such warm spirits that make church such a wonderful place. I noticed that we all have a unique love for each other. We may not know each
other very well, but we have a unique bond that wasn't there in the bethany ward (no offense you guys). I'm a very independent person (like you all know) so the change was actually kind of refreshing. I didn't feel like I had to compete with friends at church. Church is a very relaxing place to go to. It's very laid back and very peaceful. And everyone is so humble. Maybe that was justthe impression I got today, but I just really loved church today. It might be one of the best days I've had so far in this ward.

What also made it special is my brother received the priesthood today. When Bishop Knowlton called his name, he strode up there with little effort (like he was a cool guy). I really saw a lot of maturity in him today. He really is starting to grow up into a cute young man.

Ok so he still can be very annoying at times because he is only 12, but I really have started to share a unique bond with him. I asked him today who his favorite sister was and he said, "You...but only sometimes! Like when you take me out to lunch and stuff. Other than that it's Sarah." I thought that was adorable. He's just so precious. I love to grab him and kiss him on the head! Especially since he showers once or twice a day, so he always smells really good. haha. Oh and him and Natalie were writing on my leg today and natalie wrote her name and some other embarrassing things and Paul wrote "I am gonna marrie a jock". Lately he keeps telling me that he doesn't care who I marry as long as he is a jock. And I told him that probably will not happen and he then told me that he is "very disappointed in me Brittany". I love him.

Anyways...back to talking about the ward..I also love that my dad is first counselor. I have seen such a spiritual growth in him as well as the rest of my family since he was called in January. He has brought so much enthusiasm to the ward and I love being able to see him share that enthusiasm for others. I love seeing him stand up at the podium and share his testimony with the ward. Now my dad is a very smart man. He normally speaks from his mind, so to hear him speak from his heart is a very beautiful thing. I remember the fast sunday in June it was his turn to share his testimony. He got up and shared some of the most beautiful words I have ever heard him say. He talked about miracles and the power of faith. This was the same day we were fasting for the Hardy's as a stake. 
He shared his belief that because of our faith, Heavenly Father can provide miracles in our lives. He testified to us that the Hardy family and Spencer will receive some type of miracle in their lives. Even though we may not comprehend what type of miracle it may be, because of our faith, their family will be blessed. It was so powerful. He even began to cry. And so did I. :)

Up to the past year or two, I haven't really had a strong relationship with my dad. But now I truly enjoy everything about him. I used to be embarrassed by his strong personality, but now I love to laugh at his jokes! I am very grateful he is my father. I am so happy he has so much love for me and cares and protects me. He is going to be a great grandpa someday. And it has been so incredible to see how his priesthood has blessed our family. He has been able to give all of his children blessings, as well as ordain Paul as a Deacon. That was such a unique experience.

So to sum up this long blog post, I am truly grateful for the rock creek ward. It has given us a chance to slowly let go of our close friends from bethany before moving to Seattle as well as given us opportunities to grow in the gospel. Thank you rock creek ward. :) Oh and I'm super excited for High Adventure with Meagan, MacKenzie and Cassie!! They are way more reliable than those bethany girls....

3 comments:

  1. im so glad you got used to the new ward! i told you that you would love them! you are such an amazing girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany i just freaking love you, this is so adorable, and I'm so glad you love Rock Creek as much as you love Bethany. Because it just proves that heavenly father does actually know what he's doing all the time. And we miss you, but I'm glad Rock Creek is such a good fit:) even though apparently you don't miss us at all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha thats what I was about to say. Sounds like Brittany has realized how much our Bethany clique sucks. haha But this was/ is an adorable post. I can not believe Paul is 12, that seems so crazy! I really don't like watching people grow up, sometimes I wish everyone in my life would stay the same, but then we wouldn't experience life. And that too would be a shame. I love your family, and miss seeing you daily!

    ReplyDelete